So this is how it went…
Me: Would you like some yoghurt and fruit tonight sweety?
Lil’ Mr 2: No. I don’t want it. (ok, we’re working on the occasional manners glitch)
Me: Would you like a fruity dessert stack with crunchy bits and coconut?
Lil’ Mr 2: Oh Yeahhhhhh Mum. That sounds goooooood.
Little did he know, bless him, that the two items on offer were practically the same – with little people it is all in the way you frame it, isn’t it?
Anyway, here is what I made. Easily can be dairy free by substituting the yoghurt with whipped coconut cream – see kitchen notes. Very thick and indulgent!
Hope you enjoy this simple little dessert. Yes you have to have a few elements at hand to assemble, but once you’re into the wholefoods swing, you’ll be like me and nervous when there are no activated almonds in the cupboard!
Have you popped over to join me on facebook
yet? Would be fab to see you there, where I post articles and things of interest to the Real Foodist and Low Tox life seekers as well as a little inspiration!
Uber Pretty No-Cook Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup natural yoghurt or whipped coconut cream (see kitchen notes at the bottom)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean liquid extract
- 2 mango cheeks (frozen is fine, out of season)
- 4 tsp raspberries (frozen and defrosted is fine and actually makes for a delicious shot of colour with its juices)
- 1 tbsp grade A maple syrup, or rice syrup or 2 drops stevia (choose your sweetness. they’re all fab!)
- 2 tsp shredded coconut (you can make a batch of these coconut sprinkles and stash in your pantry and use for this recipe too. They're so divine and crunchy!)
- 6-10 activated almonds depending on desired crunch factor. Smashed in a tea towel into pieces for sprinkling!
Mix the yoghurt, your chosen sweet element, cinnamon and vanilla in a little bowl.
Dice the mango cheek finely
Place a dollop of the yoghurt into each presentation glass / coupe
Then drizzle a teaspoon of raspberry into each glass and a few bits of mango.
Then another blob of yoghurt into each glass, finishing your yoghurt mixture.
Then another teaspoon each of the raspberries
Then the rest of the mango dice
Then your toasted coconut & almond sprinkles. There… Does it look like this?
- Then reason I don't use a ready made sweetened yoghurt is because that category is a minefield of additives like milk solids, white sugar, thickeners et all. With a high quality natural yoghurt, you stay in control!
- Dairy Free Alternative: Coconut cream whips just like cream, but it takes a bit longer. Beat 1 cup on high with electric beaters andPerfect to use, sweetened with maple or stevia to taste once thickened, and a teaspoon vanilla bean extract for added deliciousness.
- Activated nuts - a must moving forward in your wholefood kitchen. Read my post here to get the low down on why!