So this is how it went…
Me: Would you like some yoghurt and fruit tonight sweety?
Lil’ Mr 2: No. I don’t want it. (ok, we’re working on the occasional manners glitch)
Me: Would you like a fruity dessert stack with crunchy bits and coconut?
Lil’ Mr 2: Oh Yeahhhhhh Mum. That sounds goooooood.
Little did he know, bless him, that the two items on offer were practically the same – with little people it is all in the way you frame it, isn’t it?
Anyway, here is what I made. Easily can be dairy free by substituting the yoghurt with whipped coconut cream – see kitchen notes. Very thick and indulgent!
Uber Pretty No-Cook Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup natural yoghurt or whipped coconut cream (see kitchen notes at the bottom)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean liquid extract
- 2 mango cheeks (frozen is fine, out of season)
- 4 tsp raspberries (frozen and defrosted is fine and actually makes for a delicious shot of colour with its juices)
- 1 tbsp grade A maple syrup, or rice syrup or 2 drops stevia (choose your sweetness. they’re all fab!)
- 2 tsp shredded coconut (you can make a batch of these coconut sprinkles and stash in your pantry and use for this recipe too. They're so divine and crunchy!)
- 6-10 activated almonds depending on desired crunch factor. Smashed in a tea towel into pieces for sprinkling!
- Mix the yoghurt, your chosen sweet element, cinnamon and vanilla in a little bowl.
- Dice the mango cheek finely
- Defrost your raspberries
- Place a dollop of the yoghurt into each presentation glass / coupe
- Then drizzle a teaspoon of raspberry into each glass and a few bits of mango.
- Then another blob of yoghurt into each glass, finishing your yoghurt mixture.
- Then another teaspoon each of the raspberries
- Then the rest of the mango dice
- Then your toasted coconut & almond sprinkles. There… Does it look like this?
- Then reason I don't use a ready made sweetened yoghurt is because that category is a minefield of additives like milk solids, white sugar, thickeners et all. With a high quality natural yoghurt, you stay in control!
- Dairy Free Alternative: Coconut cream whips just like cream, but it takes a bit longer. Beat 1 cup on high with electric beaters andPerfect to use, sweetened with maple or stevia to taste once thickened, and a teaspoon vanilla bean extract for added deliciousness.
- Activated nuts - a must moving forward in your wholefood kitchen. Read my post here to get the low down on why!