These are super crunchy biscuits or cookies depending on where you are in the world. Crunch is something you often miss as a gluten free person but there’s absolutely no need if you get a couple of cracker and biscuit recipes up your sleeve to fill the void.
I hope you enjoy them.
NOTE: If your batter looks too liquidy, just add a 1/4 cup of nut meal or dessicated coconut to thicken it up a bit.
Or of course you could pour a cup of your favourite herbal tea – currently mine is Pukka 3 cinnamon – and have a couple of biscuits alongside them in crockery that makes you happy and calm – Just what the end of a busy week ordered!
Real Food. Happy Bodies.
Ultra Crunchy Gluten Free Biscuits Recipe
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup softened butter (or coconut oil) but NOT liquid
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup almonds, hazelnuts or pistachios (double your pumpkin seeds if omitting nuts and doing a NUT FREE version)
- 2 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (optional but awesome for a ginger snap vibe)
For THERMOMIX users
- Place the pumpkin seeds and nuts in the thermomix and chop on speed 6, 4 seconds.
- Add everything else and process on speed 6, 10 seconds.
- Pop nuts / seeds into a food processor until fine chopped. Add everything else and process until combined. If you don’t have a food processor, use a blender to chop down the nuts / seeds and then hand work the rest with your hands into the goopy ball.
- Pro tip: Rub olive oil into your hands first so it doesn’t stick too much to them.
- Then blob out teaspoon sized blobs onto 2 baking trays (might even need 3 if you’ve got a small oven) and bake on 180C/350F for about 20 mins, checking after 15mins. They will spread a bit so not too close together.
- Once they’re golden, they’re done and will get crunchy as they cool on a wire rack. Go on – have one while they’re still warm and chewy. Such a good cook’s treat!
- Serve broken up into chunks with this delicious, rich dairy and fructose free chocolate custard OR lemony coconut custard and let me know how you enjoy!