This is my 300th post. I started my blog in the first week of February 2010 secretly and then ‘publicly’ in February of 2012. While I’m sure I could have come up with a super exciting dessert recipe or elaborate philosophical piece to mark such an occasion, instead it’s a simple chicken dinner. I really like that in a way, because achievable low tox living is what I’m all about – whether it’s in the kitchen, in your mind, on your skin or around your home.
Real Food is easy. We’ve been convinced otherwise by food marketers but in truth, a great meal is minutes to prepare, and this super easy chicken is an absolute must for your meal planner.
It’s so simple. Takes 5 minutes to pull it all together and get into the oven and then relax – OR do the million and one other things that need doing in the evenings if you’re a family person like me.
Did I mention my naive first time school parent faux pas? Thinking 1 pair of shorts and 2 tops and 3 pairs of socks was going to be plenty. Hee hee! Oh, and being told by my son’s teacher discreetly this morning “Dear you might want to find the bathroom as your t shirt is inside out”. Oops!
Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks for sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I get so excited seeing them pop up on Instagram (@lowtoxlife ) or on the wall or in the comments on the blog. Makes me so happy to see everyone being activists from their kitchens with Real Food and reducing their toxic exposures. So simple yet so much impact. How good is that?
Oh and by the way – this is easily adapted for slow cookers. Pop on Medium for 6-7 hours.
Real Food. Happy Bodies.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner Recipe
- 1 tbsp fat of choice (I had beef tallow from the ‘tops’ of making beef stock, so I used that)
- 8-10 pcs chicken drumsticks 1 whole 2 kg chook, cut into pieces save that carcass for stock!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tomato passata or simply pureed fresh tomatoes if it’s summer for you!
- 1/2 cup broth (I used beef broth as it’s what we had just made read here for broth recipe and tips, but whatever you have - veggie stock, chicken...)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, smashed and rough chopped
- 2 purple onions, rough chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried herb blend change this bit up each time for different culinary vibes - Italian, French, Greek, Indian, Moroccan
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 stalks spring onion
- 1 bunch parsley for garnish and freshness at the end
- NOTE: If you are super strapped for time – Just bung everything in at the same time and slow cook it in a 150 oven 3 hours, NO LID. It will be delicious.
- Sprinkle salt over the drumsticks
- Fry the onions and fat in the pan on high
- As soon as there’s a bit of sizzle, pop in all the drumsticks
- Fry the drumsticks for around 4 minutes, 2 minutes each side
- Then sprinkle in the garlic, paprika, turmeric and dried herbs
- Then add all the liquids
- Then pop in the oven without a lid for minimum 1.5 hours, maximum 3 hours (3 hours they will be falling off the bone) on 170C / 330F
- Then pull out and garnish with chopped spring onion and parsley if you have it