Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
And onto this week’s show!
What do you do when your bridesmaid ends their life? This week’s show, Pippa Baker processed her grief, and moved through it to the point where she asked herself: What can I do to help people before they get to the point where they feel they’ve no other option? How can we prevent this? Pippa is now a Principal Master Instructor with Mental Health First Aid Australia having run hundreds of workshops for people to navigate their own mental health challenges as well as be the supportive someone for others who are struggling. Today we discuss powerful lifestyle support for keeping a healthy mind as well as how to interact with people in your life who you think might not be letting on how they’re struggling in life at the moment, and if you’re someone struggling, how to start reaching out more and earlier and break the stigma. It’s a highly practical show and I hope you find it as useful as I did.
The questions I asked Pippa:
- What made mental health first aid your calling?
- How did your bridesmaid taking her life have you questioning your ability to be a good friend?
- How do we let people sit with people’s problems – our kids, our adult friends, and family – without trying to ‘move it on’ too fast?
- What is Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)? Why is it a good idea to do it?
- Learning signs, symptoms, and interventions for mental health problems
- How to approach, assess and assist someone you’re concerned about
- How to listen and communicate with empathy
- Where effective help is available
- What other supports the person may have
- Lack of Exercise, Drugs/Alc use, and Poor Gut Health set us up on the back foot for mental health challenges.
- Mental health is on a continuum – nobody is happy all the time
- Anxiety and Depression – there’s shame in the medication not working, right?
- What can we do when anxiety creeps in?
- Early intervention is key to preventing mental health issues worsening; you wouldn’t keep walking on a broken leg, but we do this with our mental health often
- Gratitude practice and its benefits on wellbeing – Martin Seligman and PERMA. Linking this with how one can build resilience
Other helpful links:
For more information on their Mental First Aid Course and Pippa’s work: http://www.rippleeffectmentalhealth.com.au/
You can also find them on Facebook
Our show supporter this month is…
Weleda is only 1 of 2 brands worldwide to be certified with the Union for Ethical Biotrade (UEBT) ‘Sourcing with Respect’ logo, acknowledging their commitment to sourcing with respect for people and the environment.
- Zero microplastics – they are proudly certified with the Look for the Zero logo, showing that they don’t use any plastic ingredients in any of their products; leave-on or wash-off.
- Iconic Skin Food – 1 Skin Food sells every 16 secs worldwide.
- Preserving biodiversity in their biodynamic gardens and through our fair trade partners – together they cultivate organically approximately 248 square kilometres worldwide, the equivalent of almost 35,000 football pitches
- TerraCycle collection for packaging – as a collection of recyclables is challenging and varies throughout Australia, we have set up a process for Weleda packaging to be collated and delivered to TerraCycle for recycling
We have gifted over 600 Bee B&B Hotels and teaching curriculums to Australian schools through their bee hotel program to raise awareness for the importance of biodiversity.
One of my absolute favourites and one of their oldest products, is Skin Food and we’ve done a blog on its many uses over HERE if you fancy some inspiration for making the most of yours!
You can find out more about their world of sustainable beauty here: https://www.weleda.com.au/our-story/sustainability
OFFER: 15% off the entire Weleda range* and free shipping over $29.95
*excludes gift vouchers, gift packs, and promotional items.
SHOP HERE: http://bit.ly/ShopWeleda
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet