Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And onto this week’s show!
On this week’s show, I interview global expert on colour, the colour psychologist Karen Haller and boy was it a fascinating deep dive into the significance of colour in our lives – Have you got a colour you have ‘never liked?’ or are you a lover of brights or muted tones? Learn why pink and boy became our gender stereotype colours; why black isn’t actually slimming; how an event in childhood can have you hating a colour for decades unnecessarily; learn how different cultures perceive and catalogue colour and ultimately learn about yourself and your own relationship to colour. Karen also talks about how to tune into colour for comfort and security when uncertainty and low points in life come along. She is the author of the hugely successful The Little Book of Colour: How to Use the Power of Colour to Transform Your Life.
The Questions I asked Karen:
- What is colour psychology and how did you come to be the global authority on such a subject?
- How can we use colour to support our lives in a positive way given what’s going on in the world right now? Will using brighter, happier colours really make us feel better?
- Where do we start, getting to know ourselves better through our colour choices/patterns and what altering them might do for us? Is this journey indeed an exploration of the self, rather than a simple exercise in ‘what colours make me feel good?’
- What happens when we ‘see’ colour physiologically/psychologically?
- Something you talked about in your book was how different cultures see colour and something I found fascinating was that just because a language has less words to describe colours, doesn’t mean they see ‘less’ of them, in fact, there’s evidence to suggest the opposite is true: Can you talk about what you found there?
- Curious – because you’ve talked also about this in your book – why is pink for girls and blue for boys?
- Can we talk about the positive/adverse effects of a couple of different colours?
- One of the first things we know about someone is their favourite/least favourite colour – why is that? What can that say about us/others?
- How do some people come to adore bright colours and lots of them and others prefer calm muted tones? Do you find people change over their life’s seasons also?
- Do you have a colour you hate? Can we look at my one colour I hate and what that means?
- With us experiencing everything that goes with a global pandemic (having to stay at home and the rise of stress, anxiety etc) how can we use colour to our psychological advantage?
Other helpful links:
She also has these wonderful training courses: https://colour-training.com/
Get these Free Downloads –
Free E-book for Design Professionals “The 10 myths that Limit You using Colour Effectively” here.
Free first chapter of The Little Book of Colour – this book is for the everyday person who loves or wants to fall back in love with colour.
This Week’s Brand Spotlight
Young Living – my essential oils of choice and one of my favourite low tox brands.
For the month of September, anyone who opens essentials rewards account with my member number and a premium starter kit will receive a free copy of my book (after which I will also put you in touch with a local ‘go-to’ person and join our oils peeps Facebook group). I get notified when you join so you won’t need to email or anything complicated, you’ll just receive your book a few days later. Hooray!
Read more on why I chose to open a Young Living account and find out what my absolute favourite products are from the range.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet