NEW PATREON SUPPORT PAGE – Yay! The Low Tox Club is here and YOU decide how much you want to spend to be a part of it.
You can become a Low Tox Life club member on Patreon for as little as $4USD a month. We have some awesome extras planned for our Patreon supporters, but first up, we’re including a private Low Tox Life chat group – finally! You’ll be able to unlock these Patreon extras when you sign up HERE to become a Low Tox Life podcast “patron”. I’m really excited to see where this takes us all. Come and join us there for group challenges to accompany the weekly shows, special brand offers to make your low tox switches easier and meaningful chats about the low tox life.
The show supporter for this week:
Ettitude is back with 10% off for the first two weeks of June. Gorgeous organic bamboo lyocell (that is, the type of bamboo manufacturing and fabric that isn’t full of nasties, because there are loads of those in bamboo land!), closed loop water systems, and super soft fabric in gorgeous colours. We have a couple of Ettitude’s quilt covers in my son’s room on his bunk in navy and they’re SO soft!
Your code: sleephealthy
And onto this week’s show!
Thrilled to have Dr Ralph Esposito, a doctor of naturopathic medicine, a master of acupuncture and Chinese medicine join me on the show this week for our first male-focused show. There are of course so many things we could tackle, so I’m calling this part 1 and please leave a comment below with a male health topic you’d like covered for our part 2. In today’s show we discuss fertility and the major factors concerning decline in sperm health and motility, major factors that upset the balance of testosterone and oestrogen in men, health check up markers men should annually request to check in on their health and a touch of prostate at the end – pun intended 😉 No subject on men’s health is taboo in this ep. We discuss everything from drinking, sleeping and morning glory so if you find talking about sexual organs sensitive for you, tune out this week. For the rest of you buckle up for this important discussion that I’m already looking forward to the sequel of and of course, if you’re a woman reading this, listen WITH your man instead of talking TO your man about everything he needs to do – always better when it comes from a doc rather than feeling like the nagging partner.
Here’s a little of Dr Ralph Esposito’s BIO from his website:
Doctor of naturopathic medicine, licensed acupuncturist and functional medicine practitioner
Dr. Esposito specialises in hormones, integrative urology and men’s health. His precise and personalised style embodies a progressive approach to medicine. He has been published and is a peer reviewer in well-respected medical journals. Furthermore, Dr. Esposito has authored several medical textbook chapters and has designed education modules for health professionals specifically on urological conditions, fertility, male and female hormone dysfunction, Low Testosterone, exercise, fitness, men’s health and sexual dysfunction. He has trained at NYU Integrative and Functional Urology Center. Dr. Esposito also holds a position as adjunct professor at New York University where he lectures on integrative medicine.
What questions do I ask Dr Esposito this week?
- How did you come to be doing what you do today?
- Many aspects of men’s health to discuss, but let’s talk about 3 things: Fertility, Testosterone and Prostate health, starting with fertility: We talk about fertility challenges so heavily weighted towards women having issues, but the reality is that Men account for a large percentage of fertility challenges: You wrote a fascinating piece with an oh so terrifying title “Are we on our way to extinction?” What’s going on with men in the face of today’s stats of 1 in 6 couples finding it hard to conceive and why the terrifying question? Are things truly that bad?
- What are the biggest lifestyle factors that affect male fertility? Biggest nutrient deficiencies / hormone dysfunctions that play a role?
- Best ways for men to prepare nutritionally / lifestyle change-wise to bring their A game to the horizontal tango?
- Speaking of lifestyle and moving on from fertility focus and over to hormone health for all men… Seems there is a lot of research to suggest that our sedentary, high stress lives are impacting men’s testosterone / estrogen balance? (I might bring in the fact that antibacterial soaps are playing a potential role in higher estrogen / low T in men. Crazy!)
- What happens when men are too high in testosterone and what does that look like? Too low and what are the signs?
- Too high in estrogen and what are the signs / can a guy be too low in estrogen?
- And onto prostate health… Women seem to be way more passionate about their own health challenges and their families’ with 50 tabs open on the internet, chat groups and forums getting to the bottom of little Tommy’s distended belly or their own SIBO, trialing cultured foods, binders, breaking down biofilms… Men, well, not so into it, and when it comes to the prostate, well… us ladies can be kind of like “well, I can’t help you there bud…” and often men seek health much later in the piece than women do. How do we get more men to pay attention to their prostate health earlier in life? What’s in it for them that we can entice our partners, dads, brothers and sons to care more?
- What are the key blood test markers men should get and how often / what age from?
- If you could think of all the biggest issues facing the men of today, what would you suggest are the 3 most powerful things men can do in their day to day, to live optimally?
We of course tangent a couple of times true to form and talk about making your own wine, morning erections, hypothyroidism, action movies, lifting heavy things, meditation… but you get the gist and I hope you love the chat as much as I loved having it!
Other helpful links?
Check out Dr Esposito’s website www.doctorespo.com.
Find Dr Esposito on instagram @dr.ralphesposito
Find Dr Esposito on Facebook
Have you heard about the Toxic Home Transformation Summit: join for free HERE
Have you heard yet? my upcoming book is available for pre order and we’ve put together some fab bonus pre order goodies AND a brilliant discount across all retailers prior to launch date!
If you want to click through to iTunes from here to subscribe to the podcast and listen to this week’s show, and the episodes that have aired since our launch in July 2016, GO HERE
If you want to listen on your android, download Stitcher or click through HERE or you can buy the Pocket Cast App for Android.
If you want to listen on Spotify click through HERE.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet