This simple oven baked dinner should really be called “Oh god why do I have to cook tonight? Again? Oh and I want whatever I cook to taste marvellous without needing to do any work” – That’s exactly what this dinner is. It is easy. Fast. There is no work. No stirring or watching over. I felt like this today (happens to the most passionate cooks among us sometimes too, let me assure you!) and so I solved the problem for us all, for days like these.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. This is happy, easy family comfort food on a winter’s night when mamma would prefer to be having a nap for her headache – True. I napped today – again, for us all. Be the change, as they say.
Let me know how you go on instagram if you think to @lowtoxlife #lowtoxlife
Need a super simple nourishing dessert idea to follow it? My cinnamon turmeric custard is a winner.
Real Food. Happy Bodies
Simple Oven Baked Dinner Recipe
- 1 kg cut up chook pieces, butterflied lamb leg, forequarter chops or big eggplant chunks for a vegetarian option.
- 4-5 pcs tomatoes, chopped into 6th / 8ths depending on size
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large purple onion, chopped however you like
- 6 sprigs rosemary (or 1 tbsp scattered dried herbs of your choice)
- 60 g butter or a good glug of quality olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup stock of your choice drizzled into bottom of tray to prevent drying out and create a nice sauce
- Preheat oven to 150C – 160C (150C if fanforced, 160 if not)
- Place meat in baking tray – I love Falconware enamel trays
- Arrange tomatoes around, scatter onions, sprinkle salt, pop rosemary / herbs in, pour stock into tray corners to let it sink to bottom, scatter crushed garlic, cut slices of butter and pop on top of the meat, glug with olive oil if using...
- That’s it. Pop in oven. 3 hours later you have dinner – or a weekend lunch.
Don’t have 3 hours?
- You CAN do 180C for 90mins. The flavours don’t get quite as much time to meld together but it’s still delicious.
Strapped for time even at that?
- Cook in oven one night while you’re making a pan friend / steamed combo type of evening meal. Take out of the oven and pop in fridge to reheat the next evening in no time.
- Serve with steamed greens and butter, salad, my caramelised onion quinoa or cauliflower purée… Whatever you fancy!
- And hey presto! Zero work! Maximum deliciousness. You’re welcome.
Voila! It’s that simple. Speaking of simplifying things, fancy getting SUPER confident on all things real food, cooking, food prep and the power of food for disease prevention? I’d love to invite you to check out our On-Demand (meaning you can start literally right this minute!) e course REAL FOOD ROCKSTARS. If you’re over the food overwhelm, confusion, guilty feelings, not being able to truly give up the junk, and want to know how and where to shop, what to do to get super confident in the kitchen, how to explain to others your whole food choices, what to eat and how best to build a strong body to ward off disease and feel vital and energetic, then maybe it’s time you jumped in! The door’s always open and the private support community is awesome. See you in there, Alexx x