I took a trip down memory lane today, to my little flat in Bondi where I lived for a bit when I was a bartender. I loved that little place. As I was a bartender working crazy hours, having evenings to prepare dinner wasn’t really a ‘thing’. So I would batch cook a few basics that I made up – I was never good at following recipes – and would freeze little plastic container portions (eek! If you want to ditch your plastic food storage, head HERE) and defrost them straight into a non stick saucepan (ditch those HERE) at lunch time before heading in to work.
Cheap. Hearty. Yummy. Ridiculously simple. Done organically it’s a $15 meal for 4 with accompaniments. I hope you enjoy it as my little family sure did tonight. All gobbled up. Serves 4 – 2 adults, 2 kids.
Tell me how you like it! Have you found us on instagram yet? @lowtoxlife
Real Food. Happy Bodies
Simple Vegetarian Stew Recipe
- 1 large purple onion, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 500 ml stock veggie if you’re keeping the whole thing vegetarian / vegan otherwise I use chicken or beef broth
- 1 tin BPA free chopped tomatoes or 1/5 cups tomato passata
- 1 tin organic pinto or kidney beans, drained (I use Eden brand as they soak in Kombu for better legume digestion)
- 1 tin organic lentils, drained (Global Organics is my fave lentil brand)
- 3 cups baby spinach or kale
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1-2 cups fresh herbs to garnish (parsley for keeping it Euro or coriander if you want to take it into Mex territory with avocado, cheese and corn chips)
- Fry the chopped onion in the olive oil
- Once just getting browned, add the garlic salt, rosemary, thyme and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add everything else
- Simmer for 30 mins on low until thick and rich. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- DONE. Too easy, right? Feeding 4
- Serve with sautéed spinach and quinoa or rice.
Hi there. This recipe sounds delicious but what do you mean by 1/5 cups Passata? I know what Passata is. I’m just not clear on the quantity you suggest. Thanks!
Woopsie thanks Bibi I will change that. I mean 1.5 cups or 1 1/2 x
I made this for dinner and it is amazing! Hubby loved it too… very filling and nourishing. I added coriander and chilli powder at the end, so yum. This will definitely become one of our staple meals. Thank you very much for the delicious, healthy and easy meals that you share with us all.
So glad you guys enjoyed it Deanna! x
I made this a few nights ago and it was so yummy. Hubby and both kids (2 & 4) ate it. Hubby even commented that it didn’t need meat which for him is a big thing as he often enjoys vegetarian but adds the comment of it would be nice with a little chicken/ meat etc. We had it with rice but I’m keen to use as a nacho topping too.
Hi Annika – So glad it was a hit with the whole family and yes – it’s plenty meaty enough that one and a great way to save cash and reduce meat consumption a little so we can buy better / ethical options when we DO eat it. Glad hubby was satisfied – I find that’s the main thing with my guy and vego dishes too! x
This dish exceeded my expectations. So easy to make and so delicious . Thank you for sharing these easy and excellent recipes Alexx.
This is amazing! So quick and easy to make and absolutely delish! Thanks for all your amazing recipes Alexx
Pingback: Kid friendly minestrone soup | PACKED
This is so delicious Alexx and is now on high rotation in our house! I added some dried cumin and coriander to ramp up the Mexican vibe and served it with a mexi-style quinoa. Then the next night all the leftovers were mixed together and whacked into wraps with a splodge of avo and some bitter greens. Delish!!!
On a side note, there’s no garlic in the ingredients list but it says to add garlic in the directions. I just guessed and put in 2 cloves which was perfect.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this Alexx.
So simple and easy to cook and reheat.
Perfect for lunches too
So glad you love it Emma x
Absolutely delicious!! Thankyou