I took a trip down memory lane today, to my little flat in Bondi where I lived for a bit when I was a bartender. I loved that little place. As I was a bartender working crazy hours, having evenings to prepare dinner wasn’t really a ‘thing’. So I would batch cook a few basics that I made up – I was never good at following recipes – and would freeze little plastic container portions (eek! If you want to ditch your plastic food storage, head HERE) and defrost them straight into a non stick saucepan (ditch those HERE) at lunch time before heading in to work.
Cheap. Hearty. Yummy. Ridiculously simple. Done organically it’s a $15 meal for 4 with accompaniments. I hope you enjoy it as my little family sure did tonight. All gobbled up. Serves 4 – 2 adults, 2 kids.
Tell me how you like it! Have you found us on instagram yet? @lowtoxlife
Real Food. Happy Bodies
Simple Vegetarian Stew Recipe
- 1 large purple onion, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 500 ml stock veggie if you’re keeping the whole thing vegetarian / vegan otherwise I use chicken or beef broth
- 1 tin BPA free chopped tomatoes or 1/5 cups tomato passata
- 1 tin organic pinto or kidney beans, drained (I use Eden brand as they soak in Kombu for better legume digestion)
- 1 tin organic lentils, drained (Global Organics is my fave lentil brand)
- 3 cups baby spinach or kale
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1-2 cups fresh herbs to garnish (parsley for keeping it Euro or coriander if you want to take it into Mex territory with avocado, cheese and corn chips)
- Fry the chopped onion in the olive oil
- Once just getting browned, add the garlic salt, rosemary, thyme and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add everything else
- Simmer for 30 mins on low until thick and rich. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- DONE. Too easy, right? Feeding 4
- Serve with sautéed spinach and quinoa or rice.