I’ve wanted to write out this recipe for a while now for the perfect sweet potato fries and a girlfriend being frustrated by her efforts recently reinvigorated the need for me to get these out to you. The world needs this recipe. You deserve better than bad fries – fries that you eat because they’re ‘healthier’ but while eating them you think to yourself, gee I wish these were like REAL fries. The sorry excuse for bendy, wet fries in the middle of the tray, and burnt black ones on the outside ends today for all of humankind. Life is too short. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. You’ll be excited to know they’re super easy, too.
I’ve presented them pretty simply here given my rustic no fuss vibes when it comes to both photography and mid-week meals, and as usual, the dim evening lighting in my kitchen isn’t the best, but the taste was everything. You could get fancy and make parchment/baking paper cones with string, or serve in cute buckets.
However you present them I hope you love them as much as we do and I look forward to seeing them on instagram as you guys usually take better pictures than I do! @lowtoxlife and #lowtoxlife are the tags for me there to say hi.
Happy fries, no dodgy vegetable oil or deep frying in sight!
Fancy getting SUPER confident on all things real food, cooking, food prep and the power of food for disease prevention? I’d love to invite you to check out our On-Demand (meaning you can start literally right this minute!) e course REAL FOOD ROCKSTARS. If you’re over the food overwhelm, confusion, guilty feelings, not being able to truly give up the junk, and want to know how and where to shop, what to do to get super confident in the kitchen, how to explain to others your whole food choices, what to eat and how best to build a strong body to ward off disease and feel vital and energetic, then maybe it’s time you jumped in! The door’s always open and the private support community is awesome.
The Perfect Sweet Potato Fries – Without Frying! Recipe
- 3-5 small sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot powder (same same)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (I’m a big fan of Celtic sea or fleur de sel)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil, avocado oil or macadamia oil
- 1 whole egg white (save the yolk for custard or a smoothie by popping it in an icecube tray hole for later) – Egg White Substitute: Aqua Faba liquid, strained from chic pea tin
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F and heat the olive oil in the tray, while you prepare your sweet potatoes. You may need two trays with 1/4 cup olive oil in each if your sweet potatoes were a bit bigger than mine. KEY IS TO NOT OVERCROWD THE TRAY or they braise instead of frying. Too crowded a tray is the number one enemy of the crunchy chip.
- Skin your sweet potato with a peeler if they’re rough or you prefer them that way – I don’t peel them if they’re relatively smooth and not too holey. Too fussy and a waste of time when you lose all that good fibre!
- Cut your sweet potatoes long ways in 1cm thick slices, then cut each slice into 1cm thick batons.
- Toss them through the egg white to coat them finely.
- Toss them through the tapioca flour and pat off excess.
- Pull out tray (you may have 2 trays depending on how many chips / just how big your sweet potatoes were) gently and place your chips on them in the hot oil, spaced apart by the same thickness that the chips are themselves – so at least a 1cm gap between chips.
- Bake for about 30 mins – everyone’s oven is different so test a couple along the way and you’ll know when you’re done!
- Take out and enjoy fresh out of the oven with baked chook, lamb shoulder, a yummy quinoa salad, or whatever else you fancy.